Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Saturday 20 December 2014

Say hello to Planet Blog

Last week I experienced a startling big bang on the constellation known as my Ass - the appearance of a new spongy planet, which I have affectionately named "Blog." I welcome and cherish this bundle of joy in its celestial cradle. How better to commemorate a gorgefest on calamari, fries, a three-cheese frittata, and cheesecake while lunching with two stellar blogger friends, Sue of A Colourful Canvas: Stitch, Style, Smile and Suzanne of Suzanne Carillo: Style, Smiles and Stories? (Send me 20 bucks and I'll name an Ass planet after you and send you an official certificate. Makes a perfect Christmas gift.)
Suzanne is puckering up to kiss my planet! The change room in this shop is an old bank vault. Sue and I decided not to lock Suzanne in. Lady Madonna Thrift Shop on Homer near Pender.
We spent a whirlwind afternoon/early evening of feasting, laughing, shopping, chatting, sipping, and scheming, with me trying to hog the limelight the whole time, and guest appearances by Miz Bagg. Overall I suppose I came across as Brenda Blethyn playing the obnoxious mother in the movie Little Voice, which would make Suzanne the suave strip bar owner, Ray Say, played by Michael Caine, and Sue the schtar herself, Little Voice, in the scenes of her belting out show tunes on the classed-up stripper stage. I was in a snap happy mood, whipping my camera about like a rude gesture, each flash like a little slap.
Suzanne and I had to talk Sue out of this dress.  We had to rip it from her hands. Poor dear. (You know I'm kidding, right? In fact, I ordered her to hold it up for the photo. ) See her polka-dot pants? Love.
There was so much eyeball-rolling and violent laughter I'm surprised we didn't sprain our heads, although I certainly had a mighty social hangover the next day. Meeting a blogger in person is like meeting a celebrity, as you may know, and I was struck immediately when I met Sue how her face seemed to shine with light. When I met Suzanne I was transfixed by her dramatic hair and contralto voice. And while they were both dressed fabulously, their wit, smarts, and generous hearts reduced their bodily wrappings to mere bits of fabric. The looks hook but the personality sustains.
Check out those pearly whites, blue/green eyes, and those amazeballs eyelashes, not to mention the fiery hair. This is Community Thrift Store on Carrall St. I also took Jean of Dross into Gold here and Sheila of Ephemera and L. 
We exchanged prezzies, which included a super-fun hand-made T-shirt, hand-made pin/clip, and card from Suzanne. And, well, Sue, she gave me a brilliant card and the landing site for the next deep space explorer mentioned earlier. I'll wear both your gifts with pride and love long into the future. (To be fair, 10% of all Ass planet certificate sales will go to Sue, okay 15%.)
I love this photo! Sue holding her gift from Suzanne and wearing a scarf I gave her. See what I mean about the light?
We didn't have much luck thrifting – price and selection at the shops within walking distance in downtown Vancouver can usually be beat elsewhere. I only manage what I get through perseverance and an eagle eye on the sale racks. I did, however, snafu a beautiful greenie maxi vest thing I'd had my eye on in Lady Madonna for two years now (yes, that kind of determination). As we were leaving, the owner said, Make me an offer, and with Sue and Suzanne enveloping the shop in a cloud of love and "you better give the dame a deal if ya' knows what's good for ya'" vibe, it was mine for almost half price. 
The gang! I was smiling for sure but my smiles always look forced in group photos. We shut down this cafe, last ones out. Jean, we came here during your visit too.
I usually don't do Christmas, but this year I had a hankering for a party, and I got one with these two amazing women. I conveniently left my Cindy Lou Who self at home to take full advantage. Thank you so much, Sue and Suzanne, for including me in your plans.
T-shirt hand-made for me special by Suzanne, based on my earlier post, Do I dress to piss them off? Suzanne has  lots of cool original stuff on Etsy HERE. Her wildly popular Badass Blogger T-shirt is HERE
I hope you're all well, taking care of yourselves and letting stuff that doesn't really matter float off to where it belongs, just not on my Ass. Mwah. 

31 comments:

  1. How fantastic - look at the three of you, happy as bloggers in vintage-land. I would most certainly stand in line to kiss your planet, if we could spend the day like this! xox ps: I'm not a robot

    ReplyDelete
  2. SueSuzMel out together!!! You just blew my mind! What a wonderful shiny day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Blogger meetups are always the best of times. That tee is a winnah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... this was so good... In my mind I was with you guys. Reliving the week Sylvia, Anja and I spent with Suzanne. You three seem so close to me throught this post. It is indeed the best. Meeting blogger friends in person. I can see now Melanie, that you are about my height (5ft74?).
    Or were you wearing very high heels again?
    Have a smashingly loving Christmas dear.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fabulous time was had. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great time! I'm sure everyone could tell by those big smiles that you three were having the most fun in town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha...brilliant, YOU are! This post is hilarious, and funnier still...it's all TRUE! This IS how much fun we had...sprained brains and split sides...it's all good.

    Lunch was indeed indulgent for us all...and I have no regrets...in fact, I'm plotting how to get back there for another piece of cheesecake.

    A lace peignoir, peut-etre? No matter the name, you'll be a vision of splendor wearing your froth of green lace, of which a teeny bit pops up above Suzanne's head!

    I haven't yet seen Little Voice, but now the image of Ray Say in a flashy kimono lecturing Little Voice has me laughing all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to meet up with the gorgeousness that is Sue and Suzanne! They are a stylish and lively pair, a bit of a handful, probably, but I'm quite sure you had loads of laughs. Blogger meet-ups never disappoint! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad this all came together and you got to meet Sue and Suzanne. Having met Suzanne, I can attest to her gorgeousness and high fun quotient!

    Perhaps naming of spongy ass-planets could turn into a side money-generating business for you? I seem to have packed on some extra cushioning on my stomach with all the treats we've been getting at work, so with my stomach, and your ass, we could make a fortune ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a fun time! L and I have already booked off our March trip to Van and hope you'll be around for more afternoon shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah! You're super model tall!! Hot! And that shirt is flippin awesome. Tee hee... ass planet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a sight that must have been downtown! Too too awesome to have three such amazing people in one place. It must have distorted time and space with its magnificence!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this! Nothing beats a girls' day out with lots of insane clothes trying on, swapping gifts and laughing. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how lovely to see the 3 of you together. Wish I was there. Brillant article and photos Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So great!!! I love the tee! And GOOD JOB getting that vest maxi for half off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah what fun!

    Do you have some weird filter on your camera that is making me look like I have a warped horse face? LOL Ah never mind. I'm rarely happy with my photos. Especially when I'm too close to the camera.

    I think my planet must be called "man-voice". Or as you stated it so eloquently, contralto, which of course I had to look up. (I'm learning so many new words with you!) No wonder I'm playing the part of Ray Say! in our film. No one else had the balls oops...I meant voice to pull it off.

    Loved meeting you and laughing so much. We need to do it again soon!

    I will be posting about it tomorrow on my blog : ) Weirdly enough I do make mention of a planet...

    I'm not a robot but sometimes I like to pretend to be one.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are an awful lot of Ss in that first paragraph, but not a lot of fiber (cheese fritatta AND cheesecake - you're killin' me!).

    What a wondrous event of real joy and magic in this season of artifice and spenderosity. I could almost see a glow in the north - I thought it was Santa's workshop, but it was you three in Vancouver. Your account is as fun and quirky as the day must have been - thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Outstanding riotous and outrageous fun! What an incredible meet-up in blog land. Taking Vancouver by storm and I'm sure turning heads in the midst of your travels. Lovely photos of the three of you! This is truly the way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to admit, I'm always so envious of all you that can get together! Someday, Mel ... the drinks will be on me!
    You all look very happy, and I'm glad you were in such fun company. Lots of simpatico going, I'll bet!
    Since you are doing Christmas this year, I hope you have a Massively Merry one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Sweet Melanie,
    Love your tee shirt :)
    ……...…..….. ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
    …….…..….. ⋯ ✰ ⋯
    ………….….. ⋰ ⋮ ⋱
    ……… …….*•♥•*
    …… ……. *♥♫♫♥*’.
    … …….. *♥•♦♫••♥*
    ……… *♥☺♥☺♥☺♥*
    ………*♥•♥#♠*♥#♥•♥* ‘
    ……..*♥♫♥♥♫♥♥♫♥♫* ‘
    …….*♥♥☺♥♫♥♫♥☺♥♥*’
    ……*♥♥♣♫♥♣♥♥♣♥♫ ♣♥♥*’
    ….’*♥♥♣♥♫♥♥♫♥♥♫ ♥♣♥♥*’
    ….*~~**~~**~***~~**~~*
    ….(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
    _____███████████
    ♥:♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥:
    From our home to yours,
    Merry Christmas,
    Your blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. wouaaaa, you're rock stars in my book!!, so stunning ladies rockin' together!!!!
    and looking so gorgeous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nicele. Http://gray50plus50dresses.blogspot
    .com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like how you compare meeting bloggers with meeting a celebrity. I guess in a way it is similar - our own ideas and perception of an online persona vs. the whole personality, in flesh and blood, with all the quirks. It looks like you had a wonderful day with Suzanne and Sue, and I would definitely be happy to meet all of you - creative, fun, interesting women. Thrifting together sounds like fun too! Happy New Year, Melanie! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what a fabulous group your three make … blog favorites of mine all around! Thank you for sharing such joy my dear!

    xoxo
    Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  25. Look out Vanouver, the eagle has landed! I envy you this day out. Thrifting, eating, BOOZE.....yes. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Look out Vanouver, the eagle has landed! I envy you this day out. Thrifting, eating, BOOZE.....yes. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Look out Vanouver, the eagle has landed! I envy you this day out. Thrifting, eating, BOOZE.....yes. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a whirlwind of fun you ladies all look! I need to scrimp and save for the monster blogger meet up in VC. How cooooool!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love these pictures! I can see myself digging for some good vintage in that store. You all look fantastic and happy…this looks like a really lovely meeting.

    Carelia
    Mysmallwardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...