Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Thursday 17 September 2015

She's baaaack! The Freakish Yellow Skirt.

She's been photographed in one of the world's most prestigious European art galleries, in a manure pit, on beaches from Cuba to New Zealand, in forests, on bicycles, in chicken yards, alleys, and work sheds, and even on a terracotta horse. I speak of course of the Freakish Yellow Skirt (FYS).
Photo by Suzanne Carillo, (c) 2015
The tale started in 2012 with a rattling comment left on Bag and a Beret that launched FYS into furious flights of joy around the world as a unifying symbol of friendship and freedom in a project known as the Travelling Yellow Skirt Freak Show. In her travels, FYS was styled and adorned with exuberant abandon by women with a passion for FYS's message. (The full story behind the skirt is HERE.) 

In late 2014, enthusiasm for the project seemed to be waning, which was not unexpected after a few years on the road, and the skirt was summoned back to Vancouver where I gently placed her in my closet and ruminated on what to do next. She is a formidable garment, practically pulsing with the energy that has been poured into her by everyone who has worn and adorned her. She clearly did not "belong" to me anymore, nor was meant for mere storage.
A gallery exhibition? A book? These were suggestions which Shelley of Forest City Fashionista, who was working with me on the project at the time, and I discussed, but I couldn't seem to act on them. Every time I opened my closet door FYS would sigh dramatically with boredom. I toyed with the idea of sending her back on tour, almost like a Hollywood has-been, despite her persistent glow.

This summer I carted FYS to the blogger meetup in Vancouver. I needn't have; I was so caught up in the event that I didn't even pull her out for circulation. Then, when I went to bring her home from the hotel, she was MISSING!
Suzanne Carillo had run off with her!
- And had her way with FYS in the forest and her backyard while her husband looked helplessly on from a ladder to get a better view. Hahaha. (Read details on her post HERE.)

In short, Suzanne relit the fire! She has woven magic back into this wonderful skirt with her inspired breakaway. As a result, FYS is on the road again, firing on all lemony cylinders and raring to make up for lost time. None of this namby-pamby selfie crap - this FYS is used to the best and won't accept any less. One only need look through the gallery, HERE, to know what I'm talking about.
So do you think you are up to the challenge? Think you can make the Freakish Yellow Skirt sing like the previous FYS'ers have? If so, send me an email and you'll be put on the send list on a first-come/first-served basis with no geographical logic whatsoever. I would love to see what high notes you can hit with FYS! Go HERE for my email address and details on how the project works.
Thanks again, everyone, for your incredible support of this Travelling Yellow Freak Show and your patience during her sabbatical. If you are not interested in styling FYS yourself, I am happy that her positive energy can rub off on you from the photo gallery. Cheers!


24 comments:

  1. The freakish yellow skirt needs it's own youtube channel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The freakish yellow skirt needs it's own youtube channel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to have revived the old gal : ) Can't wait to see where she ends up next.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Suzanne for stealing, um appropriating the skirt and bringing it back to life! I am not bored with it, even if it's bored with us. Rock on. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. woo-hoo, I was soooo happy to see her tra-la-ing with Suzanne the other day. You can't keep a YTS down too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed it the first time around. I would love to join the challenge for Round Two! I'll be e-mailing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i´m in! a email is on the way to you!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the photos from this series have been amazing. You should be so proud to have launched its success and brought out so many bloggers creativity for all the yellow world to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so thrilled when I saw Suzanne's post featuring or the bringing back to life party for the FYS. It deserves to keep traveling, besides they're plenty of us crazy women who still need a part in this. I would love to join in so sign me up (maybe it will be the highlight of a tea party- who knows)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so thrilled when I saw Suzanne's post featuring or the bringing back to life party for the FYS. It deserves to keep traveling, besides they're plenty of us crazy women who still need a part in this. I would love to join in so sign me up (maybe it will be the highlight of a tea party- who knows)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suggest performance art. And I, too, am thinking about signing up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the freakish yellow skirt!!! I'm so glad it's back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh freakish yellow skirt - I didn't even know how I'd missed you until seeing this post. Your many adventures, your world travel, your artistic achievements, your dallying with the hearts and minds of so many. Ah, it lifts the spirits to welcome you out to play again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne's photo shoot is magic! Did she really kidnap the skirt? What a wonderful adventure for the Yellow Pimpernell!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmmm. Does the yellow skirt need my bod in it? Thinking about it. Could I possible do it justice? This is scarier than college application.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay to the FYS being back and ready to visit more beautiful parts of our world. Looking forward to her adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I look forward to a timeline of where she goes next!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! I look forward to a timeline of where she goes next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! I look forward to a timeline of where she goes next!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so proud to be a part of the FYS story, you wouldn't believe how proud.
    And Suzanne did it justice. Such a funny story, such fantastic images.
    And Conny need not worry (I did too at the time). Just do what you always do with an outfit. That suffices.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  21. THAT yellow skirt is amazing and I do love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...